“I wouldn’t want to meet him in a dark alley … or on Serra Street.” ~ Sadie, RE Shayne Skov
“I bet Shayne Skov gives good hugs” ~ Sadie
As evidenced above, my friends and I are some pretty dedicated fans of the Stanford football team. I’ve been to nearly every home game for the last 6 or 7 years. One of my favorite things about being a college football fan is to see these guys that have put in so much effort both into football and into their academics achieve their dream of playing in the NFL. There are so many of them there now, I bet I could even field an entire fantasy football team with Cardinal alumni alone!
Here’s where the most recent batch of Stanford Cardinal ended up in the NFL:
- LB Trent Murphy to the Washington Redskins (pick #47)
- OT Cameron Fleming to the New England Patriots (pick #140)
- G David Yankey to the Minnesota Vikings (pick #145)
- S Ed Reynolds to the Philadelphia Eagles (pick #162 … and chillin’ with TE Zach Ertz)
- RB Tyler Gaffney to the Carolina Panthers (pick #204)
- DE Ben Gardner to the Dallas Cowboys (pick #231)
- LB Shayne Skov to the San Francisco 49ers (undrafted free agent … and kickin’ it with Papa Harbaugh, OT Jonathan Martin, and FB Alex Debinak)
- FB Ryan Hewitt to the Cincinatti Bengals (undrafted free agent … and hangin’ with WR Ryan Whalen)
Even with all this new Stanford talent in the NFL, the Indianapolis Colts still have the distinction of having the most Cardinal alum on the team. Superstar and neck beard aficionado QB Andrew Luck rocks out with TE Coby Fleener, S Delano Howell, and WR Griff Whalen.
Tied for second place are the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers have a total of 3 Cardinal alums.
As one who grew up a 49ers fan, and then adopted the Colts during the lost years in Indiana, it’s a pretty sweet position to be in when your favorite NFL teams have the most number of players from your most beloved college team.
Congrats guys! Can’t wait to see y’all in the NFL!